Fermentis | SafAle™ T-58 Belgian Ale | 11.5 g
DY28

Fermentis | SafAle™ T-58 Belgian Ale | 11.5 g

Quantity Price
1+ $3.99
2+ $3.80
5+ $3.60
In Stock
Delivers to ( change ) by as part of our Fast & Free Shipping.
Faster Shipping Available. Details.
Returns
60 day no hassle return policy. Details
Description

A specialty European yeast selected for its Spicy, somewhat peppery flavor profile.

This is marked as directly pitchable yeast and there are no rehydration instructions.

Some instructions for rehydrating yeasts: Suspend yeast in 4 oz of warm water. Do not stir. Let stand for 15 minutes. Stir gently. Add an equal amount of wort to your solution. Cover, let sit for five minutes, and pitch.

Item # DY28
Shipping Eligible for Free Shipping Program
Availability California - In Stock
Pennsylvania - In Stock
Weight 0.02 LBS
Community Q&A

Start typing your question and we'll check if it was already asked and answered. Learn More
No questions have been asked about this item. Be the first!
Why did you choose this?
MoreFlavor Store
Sounds like a great yeast spicy
Michael H on Feb 13, 2018
Will try this in a Saison.
Michael G on Jan 17, 2018
Sounds like a great yeast spicy
Michael H on Feb 13, 2018
Great dry yeast for Belgian style beers
Tim K on Jan 29, 2018
Will try this in a Saison.
Michael G on Jan 17, 2018
Great dry yeast for Belgian style beers
Tim K on Jan 29, 2018
Reviews

4.4 / 5.0
19 Reviews
5 Stars
4 Stars
3 Stars
2 Stars
1 Star
Rated 5 out of 5
It definitely works
I used this (one packet) in a batch of high gravity saison. Within a day the caribou was threatening to destroy my entire closet with its epic fermentation. I don’t know why you would need to make a stated with this. Just dumped the packet in the fermentor, closed it up (not tight enough), and pretty soon beer was all over my floor as the volcano erupted. Very exciting.
May 28, 2018
Purchased
over 6 years ago
Rated 5 out of 5
Love this yeast!
This yeast has been my go-to for my annual strawberry peach mango summer ale. Grain bill is that of an American wheat and the fruit is added after primary fermentation. This produces some great esters when fermented at 66-68 degrees F. Quickest start to fermentation that I've ever seen, even without a starter.
May 28, 2018
Rated 5 out of 5
Good
Brewed a Belgian Pale Ale. It was supppsed to end around 1.010 and ended up around 1.005. Fermentation started fast.
March 19, 2018
Rated 5 out of 5
My favorite dry yeast
I usually prefer fruity notes in my beers, and this yeast imparts really fruity flavors compared to other dry yeasts. This is excellent for IPAs and Saisons, and it goes very well with fruit additions like pineapple, raspberries and mango.
February 6, 2017
Rated 5 out of 5
Superb Cider Yeast!
Tried the Safbrew T-58 with a fermentation of organic, heritage CIDER APPLES. Fermented it warm in the upper 70s. The yeast never created much of a krausen, but ended up with an apparent attenuation of 96%! Og 10.50; FG 10.02. 6.3% ABV.

I backsweetened it a bit, hit it with some SO2, and dry hopped it for 6 days with Mosaic. Carbed it at 13 psi and 34F for two weeks to settle and gave it a small hit of pectinase to break down residual apple particles.

The cider is fantastic. I could drink this for the rest of my life. Need to make more. :)
December 13, 2016
Rated 5 out of 5
Right on
Used this yeast for a wheat and belgian ipa and loved it! Both beers turned out great with a different ester profile then some of the other stains out there! Get some and get brewing!
May 30, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5
unbelievable fermentation
I have never seen a yeast ferment as vigorously as this one does. It keeps popping my blow-off hose out. I started to lower my fermentation temperatures to the low 60's to keep this one under control and found that I like the flavor much better - not so much banana-like flavor.
May 5, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5
This one takes a little time to grow on you.
Twice now I've used this yeast, both times I split a batch of wort and pitched this against another yeast. Both have been attempts at lower gravity beers, worts were 48 and 56. The 48 was kegged recently and I have to say the T58 has much more character than the lagered version using 34-70. Initially, I'd have agreed with DudeInPants that it has some odd things going on, but as it ages some the beer seems to acquire character. The 46 gravity is becoming a good session beer and I'm starting to really like it. I'm looking forward to the 56 gravity since I did the same test, split the wort and used the same two yeasts.

I've had mixed reviews from people who've tried this. Some like it, some not so much. That's to be expected from something so spicy and apple'y. DudeInPants isn't exaggerating when he says it has a lot of flavors going on, but I personally don't find them offensive (after some aging).

It ferments beautifully and flocks out clear as a bell. This is a yeast I'd try again, but I don't drink a lot of Belgians so I don't need tons of this around. With an open mind, this can be a great yeast. But give it some time to allow flavors to develop. The early flavors this yeast produces are not all favorable. Give it some time. Later, like a month or two down the road it really shines.

I'm giving it 5 stars more from a technical standpoint than as a review. I think this is one of those love/hate yeasts that actually adds something to the beer. Only you can decide if you like what it adds.
March 6, 2015
Rated 4 out of 5
This strain doesn't mess around.
I have used this yeast twice so far and it has done very well. On my Belgian Stout it almost blew the top off my fermentor. I woke up in the morning to the lid bowing out with pressure. The second time was very active and quick to start. The Belgian flavor was present, but subtle. From what I can tell it didn't have a lot of depth and character, but that could have been due to other factors relating to my recipe and/or temps. My brew house is pretty cowboy. It's a great yeast for the few times I've used it.
May 22, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5
dry yeast
I always keep a couple of these around in case the liquid yeast doesn't make it to Reno. I also use it for small batches.
May 16, 2014